“We are Fredericksburg time”

 





“We are on Fredericksburg time”


It is always fun to go visit my husband’s family in Louisiana, eat some yummy food and visit with his momma. But I have to say that I am so happy to be back home, sleeping in my own bed, being with my husband, cooking for him and enjoying the beautiful scenery that I get to call home in Wyoming. 

The other day Angie sent a photo of the Bluebonnets which are now in full bloom. Anyone that knows me well, knows how much I love Bluebonnets. It’s one of the things that sets Texas apart and reminds me of my roots. God shows us His beauty in the flowers and all of His creation. I am reminded of being in the country with Mamma Lanier picking Wildflowers for my science project. I got an A for this project. It is the only A I ever received in science! I could fill pages with all the memories that include all our family. For now I will embrace my roots with Texas will forever be my childhood home. 

The Saturday before I left for Louisiana Susan, Momma, myself and Angie went to the Hill Country. I mentioned it in my last blog. We were on the interstate and the traffic was bumper to bumper as we entered Fredericksburg. The traffic jams that I am used to involve cattle, antelope, and on several occasions moose that take over the roads. Angie made the comment “We are on Fredericksburg time.” Another words, there was no reason to be in a hurry because we couldn’t make the vehicles go any faster or move out of our way. Susan would have liked to have gotten out to direct the traffic, but we convinced her this wouldn’t be a good idea. 

We are on Fredericksburg time as we wait to join Momma and help her get settled in her new home. I find myself feeling like I am in a traffic jam. It seems as time has slowed down. Susan and I are home here in Wyoming as we wait for April 9th when we head to Iowa to be with Momma. We wait for April 12th which is her appointment with the Oncologist that has taken her case. We wait. It is like we are in the traffic at a standstill. And I realized this is a transition time for us all. Today has been bittersweet with thinking about Momma and her saying “See ya later Texas!” I think about her flying today. She will be able to witness the carpets of blue and array of colors that cover the grounds. After all it is wildflower season in Texas. I know she is leaving San Antonio taking lot’s of memories filled with fragrances that she holds dear to her heart. I talked to Momma yesterday morning and I could hear a sadness in her voice. She is leaving what she has known so well and going to a newness that is unfamiliar with a lot of uncertainty. She has had to say Good Bye to so many who have been a part of her life as friends, ministry and many she calls family. 

So what do I do as I wait to travel to Iowa? Oh there is plenty for me to do with getting ready for our Summer/Fall season here at our Guest Ranch. Life still goes on even when there is a traffic jam. Idleness isn’t good for my mind or anyone’s mind. So I have busied myself getting work done, including taking reservations, preparing menus... Being in a traffic jam you know you are going to eventually get moving even if it is at a slow pace. 

I understand now that God allows these times of waiting and it is probably different for each of us. He has given me much grace during this waiting period. I have been able to rest my body, my mind and rejuvenate and honestly allowing myself to grieve as I wait. As I look at this photo and many others of the Bluebonnets I think about God’s creation not just of nature but He created everything , you and me. He is creator of life. He decides how long we live and when we die. God is the one who gives breath of life. He has created Momma, myself and Susan to do His good works being His workmanship that He  prepared beforehand, His timing and His ways. His sovereignty is in His time and we can trust in walking in His Spirit with a steadfast walk with being on “Fredericksburg time”. 

On behalf of Momma, Susan and myself we covet your prayers, your encouraging text, emails and phone calls. We appreciate all of you and so thankful for the love that has been shown to us. 


Debbie’s : Perspective 


  Well my dear friends it has been a journey! Deb and I are both back at the ranch now – and I have to tell you it is bittersweet. Leaving my Momma, leaving San Antonio and the realization that our Momma is leaving and creating a new home in Iowa hit me hard. San Antonio is the address that holds all of our childhood memories. My producer and best friend Lee flew to San Antonio to drive me back as I can’t drive long distances by myself any longer ( which really kind of ticks me off – LOL )driving out of Texas was incredibly hard – leaving my Momma behind just felt kind of wrong but I know that this is something Debbie and I had to face-  we had to do it.  

As we were driving through the hill country all of the life experiences came flooding upon me and a flood of gratefulness for my family washed over me like never before, rememberingall of our times together. God gave me an amazing group of people to surround me as I have walked this journey called life. My Children, My Momma and Daddy, my incredible sister, mybrother, my Mama and Papa, AMAZING Aunt Elaine and Uncle Don, Lesley and Cole and my niece nephews and all of the littles. Gosh there are so many fun and poignant times we have had together down on the river, food was always at the forefront– Mama in the kitchen whipping up something spectacular – fishing with Papa at the coast during the summer – I was always outside climbing trees and getting dirty and Debbie was usually in the kitchen with Mama. I was a mischievous child – I know this is shocking but we were a very close family and I am just sothankful for that. 

Now as I sit here in my room I have had time to breathe and reality hit me that while it was a crazy time in Texas with all of the appointments, Snowvid, my health crisis  I didn’t miss the blessing that Debbie and I along with our brother were able to come together and be there for our Momma. There was no hesitancy with any of us, we were going to do this no matter what obstacles and challenges came our way. The priority was just being with our Momma, supporting her while we navigate this journey with her-together. 

So now what do we doWe have a little time and actual days that I don’t have to put make -up on LOL! Listen – I have come to realize that it takes a bit more spackle- smoke and mirrors to walk out the door halfway put together! So here’s the plan - we will leave on the 9th to go to Iowa so we can help get Momma settled in her new beautiful home so we have a few days to start getting the ranch ready for summer season. I have had time to rest but it feels wrong somehow to not be going going going, always having to be somewhere at an appointment or errands getting ready for Momma’s big moveSo needless to say it has been a little of an adjustment to take a minute to ourselves to appreciate the quiet beauty of this amazing place we call home. Now last night the quiet was interrupted and I had the opportunity to hear a mountain lion calling out as she was trying to trap her prey!! It is the most chilling sound I have ever heard and if I am honest it kind of freaked me out!!! It sounds like a woman crying  so yeah….. a bit freaky-deaky for sure. So while that was a bit disconcerting I have come to appreciate the sound of silence – take in these majestic surroundings and thank God for his creation – praise him for our family and friends that have circled around us during this time – and trust him in his perfect timing. 

Speaking of timing….. I know there will be plenty to keep me busy and before we know it we will be packing up and heading to Iowa, heading to appointments and getting Momma settled.

But until then – I will sit back – slow down and enjoy the view – relish this rare opportunity on being in slow motion. 

I will be on Fredericksburg time.

-Susan’s Perspective 


  


Susan took this photo outside of Comfort, Texas at the Prayer Garden. This sums up that as we wait that we keep our eyes on the Cross of Christ because God’s timing is perfect, surrounded by His beautiful creation in life and nature.




“Thus says God the LORD, Who created the heavens and stretched them out, Who spread out the earth and its offspring, Who gives breath to the people on it And spirit to those who walk in it,”

(Isaiah 42:5, NASB)


“For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them. “ (Ephesians 2:10, NASB)


“For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities--all things have been created through Him and for Him. “ (Colossians 1:16, NASB)

Comments

Popular Posts