“Sometimes unplugging means using electricity”

 “Sometimes unplugging means using electricity”


I sit here thinking about what this above topic means to me and why I chose this title for Susan and I today.

Have you ever been in the midst of a storm, no sunlight, clouds that bring such darkness, and you feel like you are in a boat with waves that are going to knock you out of the boat with no visible land in sight? This is how I feel right now with the uncertainty of momma’s unidentified Cancer. And now I wait with great anticipation for Friday to meet with her Oncologist to find out what kind of Cancer and what will be next in her journey.


Everyone needs outlets in coping with circumstances like ours as we wait, go to Doctors appointments and still live our everyday life. One way that I like to clear my head and work through my thoughts in difficult situations is to get in the kitchen. I am not one to display my emotions but I am better than I use to be about crying in public. I am an ugly crier. At least this is what I have told myself for years. I am a Chef at our Guest Dude Ranch in Wyoming so cooking comes easy for me and is ideal setting for me  while pondering life issues. I have been thinking about this week ahead with three major appointments with Friday being the big reveal day. I found myself in the kitchen reflecting on where we are headed in this journey. In the past when I have done this, I think about sermons that have encouraged me along with scriptures that speak to my heart and music that gives me much joy and praying with a thankful heart. I also think of God’s attributes and who He is and that I trust Him because of His promises. The other day during my quiet time with God, I  was reminded of Jesus sending the disciples into the boat . And Paul Tripp in the devotional “New Morning Mercies” made this statement that was profound to me.


“Why did Jesus send the disciples into that storm? He did it for the same reason he sometimes sends you into storms- because he knows that sometimes you need the storm in order to be able to see the glory.”

Mark 6:45-52


We are blessed with staying with one of momma’s wonderful friend’s, Angie who wanted momma to recover from surgery at her home. I wanted to make a dessert to bless Angie and cooking is where I do my best thinking these days with unplugging in being creative in the kitchen. As I was preparing Chocolate Mousse, I got to thinking deeply about this passage of scripture. Our storm is a significant one and this week we know if we are thrown out of the boat, we won’t drown, because God’s promises are what we stand on. We may have to swim to shore, but He will be with us every stroke and breath we take, meeting our every need. My eyes at that moment could see clearly, the calmness , focusing on His Glory knowing the winds and waves obey Him and that He is in control of everything. This moment and time was good for me to unplug in His steadfast love even though I used an electric mixer. 


My perspective: Debbie 




So..I know you have heard the term –“you need to unplug” get rest  and regenerate. We have all had times in our lives when we have needed to do this. Well let me just share with you that My Momma , my sister and I REALLY got a Texas size dose of true “unplugging” last week! It habeen a journey this last monthstarting with my trip to the hospital, Mom’s diagnosisand then the amazing “SnowvidIt was a snow and ice storm that took out the entire Texas power grid- So… Yep- we were unplugged in the truest form! You may ask “How can this happen”? Well… let me assure you that I am still asking that very question! It was a difficult task of trying to keep my Momma warm, fed and comfortable while still recovering from my health crisis 10 days earlier. Debbie and I were focused on our Momma  plain and simpleOh… we were also without water as well so things like making coffee and flushing the toilet became a thing- A BIG thing! I would leave every day in search of bottled water and I am telling you it was like a war zone in this city that I love. People were cold, tired and angry. We waited in line for fast food so that we could get a hot meal for 2 hours- We were living the life my friends- Living the life!

It was very interesting to me as the differences in my sister and I’s personalities were larger than life. A lot of you know that I am new to my faith and my walk with God. I spent a lot of years running’ and gunnin’ to put it mildly. I have been saved for almost four years. One of the things that I have been desperately working on is patience and the need to not want to throat punch others when they do something that I think is wrong or that I don’t agree with. My sister Debbie is the epitome of calm and she doesn’t get emotional in these situations. So needless to say when we were put to the test in this during this harrowing  experience my other personality who we will call”mouth of the south” came out. Oh!!! I almost forgot!! During the first 24 hours of the blackout the fire alarm that was located right outside my Momma’s door started going off- if any of you have ever experienced the loud , piercing noise you will have some sympathy for us. So I took it upon myself to call the emergency maintenance line(multiple times) to inform them of this so that they would come right over and take care of it right? One would think that this would not be a big deal- well after 48 hours of this let’s just say my patience went right out the window- if the maintenance guy would have shown up throat punching would have been the least of his worries! LOL! The fire alarm stayed on the entire time of the blackout!!! Aaaggghhh!!!

During all of this time throughout the days and nights without power or water and the annoying fire alarm I observed my sister and my mother remaining peaceful and calm – Ion the other hand had moments where the raving”mouth of the south” took over- wether it was at the gas station where there was a mile long line- or the HEB where a truck knocked me down on the ice – or just at home where I wanted my sister to get angry along with me – but my Mom and sister just said :”Susan- this is in God’s hands and we have to trust him in all things so that the peace that surpasses understanding will be ours”.

Folks -I am a work in progress- I am learning many lessons throughout this experience in knowing that true peace and joy can be ours no matter what our circumstance is If you find yourself in a catastrophic emergency, a health crisis or anything that is beyond your scope to control remember we have a choice to let the circumstance dictate our “feelings” and reactions or we don’t react and remember this: His steadfast love truly endureforever and we just have to maintain steadfast trust and faith in Jesus – he never fails - we have know in our hearts that he is bigger than any of our problems – Simply put -

Jesus is on the throne!


My Perspective: Susan




Comments

  1. After every storm, when the clouds pass, sunshine emerges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am humbled by all you have endured since you both arrived in Texas. Thank you for sharing your individual hearts. And most of all being here for your momma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love you much Corene!!! And we are so thankful that we get to be here walking together with momma. 💗

      Delete
    2. We love you Corene- thank you so much for all that you do for us!!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts